Pinch me already. How is it already Week Three of the ORC?? Time flies when you are stressed beyond belief and in outright misery. But hey, we are all having so much fun here. We do it all for you. Today, I am sharing my latest DIY in my office. The DIY design wall. Dunnn, dunnn, dunnnnn (sound effect). It is not as intimidating and scary as it sounds. You know I would never ever lie to you.
I have needed this design wall desperately for ages to eliminate the piles and stacks of samples, fabric and inspiration that once resided on the real estate of my desk. Not so glam and not so functional. Actually. We all know I am certainly about practicality. What could be better than making a large focal point on my once bare wall to share and organize all of this design goodness in one place? Nothing. That is what. On a side note, it seems to me that someone is on a leopard kick. I think that would be me...
So I originally got this idea from my second design crush (we all know who my first design crush is), Amber Interiors back in 2011. I was obviously gun shy on pulling the trigger. I will break it down the steps in a little more details for you all. Sorry there are no tutorial pictures to follow along.
Foam Insulation board, like this. I cut mine to a 72x24 size
2 sets of cork tiles, like these
Fabric. For those of you interested, the fabric is a Robert Kauffman animal print.
Start with the foam board and carefully adhere each cork tile to the piece. Obviously lining them up accordingly. If your foam insulation board had to be cut into pieces, like ahem mine, you can always duct tape the pieces together to get the size you want. It wont be gorgeous, but it doesn't matter.
After allowing the adhesive to dry, lay the fabric face side down and place the cork tile side directly on to the fabric. Pull the fabric tight and secure with staples on one side. I did this to use the side as a guide and also a place holder for when I used the spray adhesive. Flip the board face up and start smoothing the fabric out. You will start using the spray adhesive in sections to secure the fabric. Once all of that is done, go ahead and flip the board back over and secure the backing. I used spray adhesive AND staples. Much like a face lift. Dr. Lindsay, MD.
Once that is all done, you will add trim and then you have a finished product. Easy. Peasy. Lemon. Squeezy. I centered the board and nailed it directly into the wall. Much more secure that way.
And the wall with a little mood lighting, of course!
So week three is now complete and things are really starting to come together. I will give you a little peek of what else is going on in here. Also, a new rug may or may not have arrived yesterday...
And all of the straight jacket eligible participants that are partaking in this insane challenge with me...